That saying “if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is” comes to mind, but it’s difficult for me to not address surfaced rumors. Especially about a game I’m desperately anticipating! Rockstar’s GTA 5 is, of course, causing a huge stir in the gaming world, revealing only miniscule details about the game, saying that no new details regarding GTA 5 will be revealed until after Max Payne 3 is released in May. Needless to say, gamers are viciously craving more information.
Have our hopes been answered?
Supposedly a graphics designs major at Full Sail University has leaked some major information. Brendan, claiming to have had a “12 month contractual agreement as an intern for Rockstar Games, claims to have gathered a bit of information on the game and has shared a mouthful of details.” Whether this information is true or not (and I’m very skeptical), it definitely ignites my need for more things Grand Theft Auto.
1) The map is comprised of “5 ‘main’ populaces within the one County of Los Santos.” It’s supposedly split into three different “provinces: The Greater Naranja Area, Los Puerta, and Greater Los Santos.” The map is also supposedly larger than three Liberty Cities combined with countryside, two airports, a private airfield, and a military base.
2) In the reveal trailer, the main letting down the convertible top is the main character. His name is “Adrian, just a normal guy, dangerously enticed by the sight of ‘easy’ money.” Your character can be customized, and the clothing has been improved. Every article of clothing the pedestrians wear should also be available to your character. Working out and body building will be included, affecting the way your character’s body appears. Buying food is also possible but doing so will not affect your physique. Food is simply used to obtain more health.
3) Activities outside of the story will return with strip clubs, drinking, drug trade, fight club, base-jumping, and racing. Other awesome activities will be added like surfing, card games, dice, hang-gliding, rock climbing, car shows, off-roading, hiking, and legal gambling.
4) Your character will be able to interact with girlfriends. They will all have their own benefits (similar to GTA4), this time with “more variety of attribute boots to unlock. This gives the player more reason to pick and choose girls, keeping them or dumping them at will.”
5) Safehouses will actually have safes in them. You can hold numerous items in it like drugs, money, and jewelry. Guns will still lay around in the open for easy access but apparently rare weapons can be stored.
6) You can sell drugs and barter with strangers that will approach you. “If the stranger is asking for $200 of acid and you have said product in hand then you can make a quick buck and keep strolling, but let’s say you left the acid in the safe and only have weed on you, you can either decline to trade and keep moving or hold him up at gun point for his cash and make a quick break for it.” Or just shoot the guy and run.
7) Adrian can get drunk. He doesn’t smoke weed, but certain situations can supposedly “make him high.” Brendan states, “For instance, driving in a car with the passenger smoking with the windows up results in you getting high. Another case, is maybe tossing molotovs in a field of marijuana and standing in the smoke, once again getting Adrian buzzed.” Hard drugs are forbidden to use but can still be sold.
8) Money doesn’t fall from pedestrians after killing them. You can pick pocket them for cash and other items.
9) Weapon skills have been improved. Shooting mechanics can be increased in a particular weapon class depending on your XP. “Using a certain weapon over and over increases experience and lowers the effects of recoil, improve aiming speed, and reloading times.” You can also aim and shoot while climbing ladders or hanging on “ledges, ropes, and vehicles.” Also, you can use human shields.
10) Bicycles are back: BMX, beach-cruisers, and two-seaters. Trains, subway systems, and buses will have scheduled routes, and taxis will also be available for transportation. Aircrafts can be flown and range from “passenger planes and private jets to vintage bi-pods and VTOL’s.”
11) “Money will be harder to get this time around yet easily attained with a multitude of things to do to attain it. Everything will be scaled to a near realistic scale in terms of realistic payout amounts, pricing on clothing, food, realty and housing, vehicles, venues, tolls, and business buy-in. For example, the Enus Cognoscenti XLR (based on the Maybach Exelero) will cost a cool 1.2 million dollars and be only availavle online through Auto Eroticar’s website. Pricey, but worth it. A safehouse will range from $150 one-time save motels to million dollars homes and anywhere in between. This time around, a safehouse’s (whether house, loft, flat, or condo) price range will vary depending on location and be tallied as a whole years worth of rent, example. an apartment with worth 1,000 dollars rent monthly will be 12,000 dollars to buy in-game and so on.”
Frankly, I’m highly skeptical (as everyone should be with information like this). It seems highly unlikely for an intern to waltz into Rockstar, collect all of this information, and be able to leak all of it without huge repercussions. Brendan goes into huge detail about a lot of the information leaked. If all of this is just a feeble attempt to trick anticipating gamers, Brendan is definitely one creative person that has taken way too much time to develop these details. But regardless, I think some awesome ideas have been included.
Although his grammar could be dramatically improved…