I am a huge fan of the Harvest Moon series. Outside of the eSports writing and the hardcore video game reviewing, it’s nice to be able to sit down with a casual game and become immersed in it’s world. Harvest Moon is a feel-good title to me. So when I heard of Wild Season, I was immediately intrigued.
Created by Quickfire Games, located out of London, UK, Wild Season takes inspiration from games such as Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Thousand Arms, and Animal Crossing to create an in-depth and slightly more mature farming simulation that focuses on story and relationships.
While there are obvious similarities to games like Harvest Moon, the story and events are what differentiates this title.
“The main character (you) lives in the big city! However due to some unfortunate circumstances you have lost your home and most of your possessions to the mafia. On your way home you pass by a realtor, and you see an amazing deal on an old farm not too far away. With no home and little chance to find somewhere else in the city, you see this as a fresh start! An opportunity to get away from it all.
“You empty out your bank account, sell what remaining possessions you need to, and you buy the farm! The sales associate gives you keys and directions, and before you know it you’re home, packing what you have left into your car (before the Mafia throw you out!), and you drive out to the farm!
“However it’s not all smiles and roses. Getting to the farm is not as easy as it seems, and when you arrive, the townsfolk are friendly but distant, the town seems to hide a secret, and there is a dark feeling coming from the forest…”
- A detailed and intricately crafted world that you can explore, experience and enjoy.
- Play as a male or female character!
- 8 Bachelors and/or bachelorettes for you to woo, romance and marry.
- Same sex relationships.
- Build relationships with characters that you can believe. make friends, and loved ones, or enemies and crazy exes with our custom built relationship engine: The Friend-Zone Engine.
- Turn your newly acquired decrepit farm into one of the region’s top farm.
- Grow crops, raise animals, and sell their produce.
- Multiple story-lines, relationships and choices for you to explore, ranging from a mature emotional roller coaster, to downright slapstick.
- Make choices that change the world around you. Make your way into the town council and make decisions about where to take your town.
- Participate or simply attend the many festivals that occur throughout the year, including fairs, competition, races, mystic sacrifices and more!
- Discover the deep dark secret of your town, why it will cause worlds to collide, and decide what you will do with that knowledge.
- Take part in part-time jobs to help build relationships, and fill your wallet in the early days.
- Stop for a drink at the bar after a long day’s work to socialize. Who knows what you might learn! ( Especially on quiz-night!)
- Initial Animal List: Cows, Sheep, Goats, Chickens, Ostriches, Penguins, Llama, Horses & dogs
- Cooking & Baking variety. Lots of recipe’s and way’s to make a dish. Compete locally, regionally and nationally to become the nations best cook/baker!
What makes Wild Season Different from other similar games?
- Character driven story-telling approach. Each character has a history, internal conflicts, issues and distinct personalities.
- A more mature undertone: Unlike other games of this genre, we want characters to be deep, compelling and relatable. As such we have decided to take a slightly more mature approach with our storytelling, with characters having to deal with a range of issues, ranging from drinking problems to crisis of concience.
- Its not just about making friends: Its not about achieving the highest level of friendship with everyone in the town to achieve rewards. If you just dont like a particular character you can make them your enemy!
- Off-Duty Activities: Whilst running and mantaining the farm is important, we are also focusing strongly on activities available to the player when not on the farm, including activities (like dating, mystery solving, spying, learning to cook), jobs, entertainment & more social options. (with farm automation options later in the game to make it easier for those who get bored with the same routine after a few years).
- Contextual relationship building: NPC’s will notice when you come out for drinks in the evening, if you’re antisocial, or when you barge into their houses and rooms at odd hours off the night (and when you do it too much!), or begin to stalk them.
- Political System: Join the town council and help shape the direction of your town.
- Use of technology. Use evolving technologies (tv/ cellphones, etc) to help manage and automate your farms & relationships.
- Dog & Horse racing. Breed Dogs & Horses for races (yes more than one).
While Quickfire Games’ main platform targets include PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android, success could help them spread the game to other platforms such as the PS Vita, 3DS, Xbox, and PS indie channels. It all rests on how easily they reach their goal and if they can surpass it.
Make sure you check out their Kickstarter page and back Wild Season for some cool rewards!
- Wild Season Kickstarter
- Quickfire Games’ Official Website
- Quickfire Games’ Twitter
- Quickfire Games’ Facebook